Sunday, November 05, 2006

Would we miss anything?

Just occurred to me:

Why is it so important to stay close to email, and have a cell phone all the time?
I speak for myself, and likely for many others.

Weren't we all fine - once upon a time - without the ability to contact anyone or be contacted - 24x7?

This occurred to me as I settled in for a nightly ritual - running over twelve years now.
Sitting in front of the TV, with my laptop connected to the net, and a cell phone right by my side.

What am I - Mr Connected? A Breaking News enthusiast? I never turn the television off without a last look at CNN.

There're so many that answer cell phones at the movies, in the car at 65 mph, heck - even in airplanes in blatant disregard for all safety requirements.
Some of us scrurry to check email at airports, on our Blackberries lest it be something drop dead important. Sure, like that update on servers down for maintenance, that double upgrade offer from a car rental co, and some $%^&#@! discount deadline for some tradeshow.

What earthshaking event do we need to be on top of, that we need to know about immediately, that we can't afford to miss? What needs our input that can't wait - all the time?

Nothing - I bet. Honest, more often than not for me.

No comments: